The Nation noted the following plea from the Pakistan government today
“Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi has said Pakistan though facing several challenges offers vast opportunities of investment, which should be highlighted before the world. Talking to media during the Friends of Democratic Pakistan moot in Dubai, Pakistan foreign minister said the conference has been organized to attract the corporate sector towards investment in Pakistan.”
This plea needs some footnotes
- 1. Note the conference is being held in Dubai because Pakistan is considered too dangerous for investors to go to.
- 2. Interpret the plea as we will do nothing for ourselves. We will not change our lifestyle; let the foreign investor bring in money so that our bad habits can continue.
- 3. This charade has been played out by all our governments from Ayub to now.
- 4. This is the year 2010, and our government continues to use tools from the 1960s: donor conferences, friends of Pakistan
Meanwhile the fishing village Dubai that was not even on the Map when Pakistan was holding its first investor conferences has
- 1. Built the tallest building in the world
- 2. Has become the Hub of Asia and Africa
- 3. Has become a tourist and shopping destination
While Pakistan is struggling with fundamentalists and begging for aid Dubai today announced a new race track.
It might be wise for our ministers to go home and do some serious work instead of continually begging.